Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Prince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail publisher legal fees for failed court challenge -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-Prince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail publisher legal fees for failed court challenge
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:46:20
LONDON (AP) — A judge ordered Prince Harry on Will Sage AstorMonday to pay nearly 50,000 pounds (more than $60,000) in legal fees to the publisher of the Daily Mail tabloid for his failed court challenge in a libel lawsuit.
The Duke of Sussex is suing Associated Newspapers Ltd. over an article that said Harry tried to hide his efforts to retain publicly funded protection in the U.K. after leaving his role as a working member of the royal family.
Justice Matthew Nicklin ruled Friday in the High Court in London that the publisher has a “real prospect” of showing that statements issued on Harry’s behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.
“The defendant may well submit that this was a masterclass in the art of ‘spinning,’” Nicklin wrote, in refusing to strike the honest opinion defense.
Harry has claimed the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper defamed him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements over efforts to challenge the government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, also has a lawsuit pending against the government’s decision to protect him on a case-by-case basis when he visits Britain. He claims that hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by the news media threaten their safety.
Nicklin said a libel trial lasting three to four days will be scheduled between May 17 and July 31.
The 48,447 pounds ($60,927) in legal fees Harry was ordered to pay by Dec. 29 is likely to be dwarfed by the amount paid to lawyers in another lawsuit the duke has brought against the publisher.
Associated Newspapers is one of three British tabloid publishers he’s suing over claims they used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt on him.
The Mail publisher failed last month in its bid to throw out that lawsuit, though it prevailed in getting some evidence barred from trial. Nicklin — who is also hearing that case — is considering what to award in lawyer’s costs for each party’s respective wins.
Harry and co-claimants that include Elton John and Elizabeth Hurley said they spent 1.7 million ($2.1 million) to prepare for and argue their case at a hearing over several days in March. The publisher, meanwhile, is seeking up to 755,000 pounds ($949,000).
___
Follow the AP’s coverage of Prince Harry at https://apnews.com/hub/prince-harry
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Texas Droughts Are Getting Much More Expensive
- When are 2024 NCAA baseball super regionals? How to watch every series this weekend
- Giraffe’s nibble turns into airborne safari adventure for Texas toddler
- JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
- Colorado: 'Hidden' elk charges, injures 4-year-old boy in second elk attack in a week
- Salmonella linked to recalled cucumbers could be two separate strains; FDA, CDC investigate
- What is Hunter Biden on trial for? The gun charges against him, explained
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- SpaceX launch livestream: How to watch Starship's fourth test flight
Ranking
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- 'Splashdown confirmed!' SpaceX Starship successful in fourth test launch
- MotorTrend drives Porsches with 'Bad Boys' stars Will Smith and Martin Lawrence
- All-access NHL show is coming from the makers of ‘Formula 1: Drive to Survive’
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- US antitrust enforcers will investigate leading AI companies Microsoft, Nvidia and OpenAI
- California made it easier to vote, but some with disabilities still face barriers
- Selma Blair Shares Health Update Amid Multiple Sclerosis Remission
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Ground black pepper sold nationwide recalled for possible salmonella risk, FDA says
Chase Budinger used to play in the NBA. Now, he's an Olympian in beach volleyball.
Ex-Detroit Riverfront CFO embezzled $40M, spent funds on lavish lifestyle, prosecutors say
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
Pregnant Model Iskra Lawrence Claps Back at Body-Shamers
Over 20,000 pounds of beef products recalled for not being properly inspected, USDA says
Levi Wright’s Mom Shares Gut-Wrenching Final Moments With 3-Year-Old Before Toy Tractor Accident